Glazed Short Ribs
Community Recipe from
- 3 cup(s) dry red wine
- 7 1/2 pound(s) boone-in short ribs, separated into whole ribs
- kosher salt
- 2 whole heads of garlic cut in half through their equators
- 5 large fresh shiitake mushroom caps, halved
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions peeled and quartered
- 1 small celery stalk chopped
- 4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 11 whole allsspice berries lightly crushed
- 1 CINNAMON STICK
- 1 6 x 5 sheet konbu
- 1/2 small bunch fresh thyme (1/4 oz)
- 10 1/2 cup(s) chicken stock
- 6 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325. Bring wine to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Boil rapidly until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Generously season the ribs on all sides with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the ribs to a large roasting pan, bone side up. Scatter the garlic, shiitakes, carrots, onions, celery, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, konbu, and thyme on top of the ribs. Add the stock, vinegar, and reduced red wine. Cover the pan tightly with foil, crimping the edges around the rim of the pan. Transfer to the over and braise until completely fork-tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and carefully remove the foil. Raise the oven temperature to 375.
- When cool enough to handle, carefully transfer the ribs to a dish. Remove and discard the bones and any bits of vegetables or herbs clinging to the meat. Set a fine-mesh sieve over a large measuring cup. Carefully pour all the liquid from the pan through the sieve; discard the solids. Let stand for a few minute, then spoon the fat from the juices, discarding the fat or use a fat separator. Pour the juices back into the roasting pan.
- Return the ribs to the pan in a single layer and straddle the pan between 3 burners. Bring the liquid to a boil, then transfer the pan to the oven. Cook, basting frequently, until ribs are glazed with a shiny coat, 5 - 10 minutes. The glaze should be saucy and cling to the ribs, but not sticky. And you should have a least 2 cups of it remaining for serving.
- Serve the short ribs topped with the glaze.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MTN326 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes