Glazed Lemon-Ginger Scones
Photo: Con Poulos
Aimee Olexy's lemony, cream-based scones are light, moist and laced with pieces of chewy candied ginger.
Yield: 8 scones
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the cream and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice; fold in the candied ginger.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently knead the dough just until it comes together. Pat into a 9-inch round, a scant 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and arrange them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes, until slightly firm and lightly browned on the bottom, pale on top. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar with the remaining 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of lemon juice until the glaze is smooth. Drizzle the lemon glaze over the scones and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads