Delicious. I LOVE lemon- so I used lemon oil instead of extract and added in about 1/3 cup lemon juice instead of the 3T called for. I did use a different glaze - 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/3 cup of lemon juice- got the idea from King Arthur's Flour Recipe for Lemon Bliss Cake. Pulled it out at 50 mins and it released nicely from the pan after cooling for 10 mins. Will definitely make again!
Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Cake
This lemon buttermilk cake is great with a cup of morning coffee or mixed berries and a scoop of sorbet for dessert. Use a whole teaspoon of lemon extract for more intense lemon flavor.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 252mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon rind (about 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Lemon glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, combine rind and 3 tablespoons juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Coat a 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, rind mixture, and extract, beating until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 cup buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons juice, and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm cake. Garnish with grated lemon rind once glaze is set, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note