Glazed Chocolate Bundt Cake
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Dan Becker
This bundt cake is sure to be a hit at your next party or get-together. It's all in the glaze. Or just the chocolate.
Yield: Makes 16 servings
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 352
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 4.5g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 405mg
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Cooking-oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking-oil spray. In a large bowl, combine pastry flour, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in 1 cup brown sugar.
- 2. In a blender, whirl cocoa and dates with 2/3 cup boiling water until smooth. Whirl in buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Set aside.
- 3. Put bittersweet chocolate in a small glass bowl and microwave on high for 10 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted. Stir 1/2 of date mixture into flour mixture. Stir in melted chocolate, then remaining date mixture, and finally chocolate chips.
- 4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cake 15 minutes, then gently remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, espresso powder, and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar. Add cream and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in Bourbon and let cool. When glaze and cake are both at room temperature, drizzle glaze over cake.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note