- Cooking-oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- calories 352
- caloriesfromfat 36 %
- protein 4.5 g
- fat 14 g
- satfat 5.9 g
- carbohydrate 57 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- sodium 405 mg
- cholesterol 40 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking-oil spray. In a large bowl, combine pastry flour, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in 1 cup brown sugar.
In a blender, whirl cocoa and dates with 2/3 cup boiling water until smooth. Whirl in buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Set aside.
Put bittersweet chocolate in a small glass bowl and microwave on high for 10 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted. Stir 1/2 of date mixture into flour mixture. Stir in melted chocolate, then remaining date mixture, and finally chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cake 15 minutes, then gently remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, espresso powder, and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar. Add cream and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in Bourbon and let cool. When glaze and cake are both at room temperature, drizzle glaze over cake.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.