These were really fun to make! (Although a little time consuming... don't try to throw together if you need to be somewhere.) I found the directions for folding confusing but the dough just sorta sticks together so it doesn't matter too much if you mess up. I doubled the recipe and substituted 1/3 of the cherries for peaches, and really liked how the orange, cherries, and peaches tasted together.
Glazed Cherry-Cheese Turnovers
Choose Bing or another variety of sweet cherry for the best flavor.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 turnover)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 108
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 20.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 106mg
- Calcium: 7mg
- 1 1/2 cups pitted sweet cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- Combine cherries and granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water, stirring until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to cherry mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in rind and almond extract. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, cheese, and vanilla in a small bowl, stirring until well blended.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or work surface (cover the remaining dough to keep from drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat layers 3 times. Gently press layers together. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut each phyllo stack lengthwise into 4 (9 x 3 1/2-inch) strips. Spoon 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture onto 1 short end of each rectangle. Spoon 1 level tablespoonful cherry mixture on top of cream cheese mixture, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold 1 corner of edge with 1-inch border over mixture, forming a triangle; continue folding back and forth into a triangle to end of strip. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo, cooking spray, cream cheese, and cherry mixture.
- Place triangles, seam sides down, on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray; lightly coat triangles with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks 5 minutes. Combine the remaining 5 tablespoons powdered sugar and juice in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle juice mixture over turnovers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Glazed Cherry-Cheese Turnovers Recipe at a Glance