Combine the best of fall and winter flavors in this must-try pie recipe. The oatmeal streusel topping shines as a crunchy companion to the tart-sweet filling.
Cooking Light DECEMBER 2009
1. Position oven rack to lowest third of oven. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. To prepare pie, combine 1 cup water and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add cranberries, fresh ginger slices, and rind; return to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Remove from heat; discard ginger slices. Cool.
3. Combine lemon juice and pears in a large bowl; toss. Weigh or lightly spoon 1.13 ounces flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1.13 ounces flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Add flour mixture to pear mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cranberry mixture.
4. Remove 2 sheets plastic from All-Purpose Light Piecrust dough. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Fold edges under; flute. Spoon pear mixture into prepared crust.
5. To prepare streusel, weigh or lightly spoon 1.5 ounces flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine butter and orange juice in a bowl, stirring well. Add flour, oats, and remaining ingredients; toss. Sprinkle oat mixture over pear mixture. Cover pie loosely with foil; place pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake, covered, in the lower third of oven at 400° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour.
Go to full version of