I made this last night for my friends, it was amazing! I Had to simmer the ginger-cranberry sauce for closer to 30 minutes to get the liquid down to two tablespoons. The whole thing took a little longer than I expected, even considering that I used a pre-made pie shell, so be sure to give yourself plenty of time before you plan to eat it. I will definitely make this again.
Gingery Cranberry-Pear Pie with Oatmeal Streusel
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 58.5g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 154mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 peeled Anjou pears, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 3 pounds)
- 1.13 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- All-Purpose Light Piecrust dough
- Cooking spray
- 1.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Position oven rack to lowest third of oven. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. To prepare pie, combine 1 cup water and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add cranberries, fresh ginger slices, and rind; return to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Remove from heat; discard ginger slices. Cool.
- 3. Combine lemon juice and pears in a large bowl; toss. Weigh or lightly spoon 1.13 ounces flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1.13 ounces flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Add flour mixture to pear mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cranberry mixture.
- 4. Remove 2 sheets plastic from All-Purpose Light Piecrust dough. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Fold edges under; flute. Spoon pear mixture into prepared crust.
- 5. To prepare streusel, weigh or lightly spoon 1.5 ounces flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine butter and orange juice in a bowl, stirring well. Add flour, oats, and remaining ingredients; toss. Sprinkle oat mixture over pear mixture. Cover pie loosely with foil; place pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake, covered, in the lower third of oven at 400° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note