The taste is good but consistency is soupy. I tried it twice just to make sure. I would not make this again without either reducing the amount of milk or increasing the amount of cornstarch.
Gingery Banana Pudding with Bourbon Cream
Photo: José Picayo; Styling: Jocelyne Beaudoin
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 48.9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 176mg
- Calcium: 177mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, divided
- 12 gingersnaps, crumbled and divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in 3 cups milk. Heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil).
- 2. Combine remaining 1 cup milk and yolks; stir with a whisk. Gradually add 1 cup hot milk mixture to yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg yolk mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until mixture cools, stirring occasionally. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled. Mash 2 bananas; cut remaining 2 bananas into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stir mashed and sliced bananas and half of gingersnaps into pudding; chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Combine cream and 1 teaspoon sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form; stir in bourbon, if desired.
- 4. Spoon 2/3 cup pudding into each of 8 dessert glasses; divide remaining gingersnaps among servings. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons whipped cream, 1 1/2 teaspoons pecans, and 3/4 teaspoon ginger.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts