- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cane syrup*
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar (such as Sugar in the Raw)
- Parchment paper
How to Make It
Beat first 9 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes or until creamy.
Add flour; beat until blended. Stir in chopped crystallized ginger. Divide dough into 4 portions, and shape each portion into an 8- x 2-inch log. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Unwrap logs, and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over logs, pressing to adhere, and rewrap. Chill 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°. Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place 1 inch apart on 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned, switching pans halfway through. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and cool.
*Sorghum or honey may be substituted.