- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 (1-inch) pieces peeled fresh ginger
- 1 pound dried Calimyrna figs, stemmed
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger (about 3 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- calories 96
- caloriesfromfat 3 %
- fat 0.3 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- monofat 0.1 g
- polyfat 0.1 g
- protein 0.6 g
- carbohydrate 24.5 g
- fiber 2.2 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 1.2 mg
- sodium 4 mg
- calcium 36 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes or until figs are tender.
Stir in crystallized ginger and rind. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 30 minutes or until mixture is syrupy, stirring occasionally.
Remove mixture from heat, and cool 10 minutes. Discard fresh ginger pieces. Place mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator.
Note: Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.