- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup finely grated carrot (about 1 1/2 carrots)
- 2 tablespoons diced crystallized ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white beaten with 2 teaspoons cold water (egg wash)
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°. Mix together first 5 ingredients and 1/3 cup sugar. Add butter, and process in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add carrot and ginger, and pulse just until blended.
Whisk together egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in a separate bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture, and pulse just until blended and slightly moist. (Dough will be sticky.)
Transfer dough to a well-floured surface with well-floured hands. Divide in half, and pat each half into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. With a floured knife, cut each circle into 6 wedges.
Place wedges on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush top of each scone with egg wash, and sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, or let cool completely, and store up to 2 days in an airtight container at room temperature.