Gingered Carrot-and-Parsnip Soup
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch of ground allspice (optional)
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- Sauté celery and onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Add ginger, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips, and chicken broth to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until carrots and parsnips are tender. Remove from heat; let cool slightly (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Process mixture, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Return purée to Dutch oven. Stir in half-and-half, salt, pepper, and, if desired, allspice and nutmeg; simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note