My wife and I really love this recipe...its just about our favorite!
Gingered Cabbage Soup with Pork and Potatoes
A sprightly ginger broth transforms typical cabbage, pork, and potato soup into a meal that's light-tasting and satisfying at the same time. The shot of lemon juice added at the end intensifies the flavors.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, plus one 2-inch piece, peeled, halved lengthwise, and smashed
- 3/4 pound green cabbage (about 1/4 head), shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1 pound boiling potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into approximately 1 1/2-inch-long-by-1/4-inch-wide strips
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a large pot, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the minced ginger and the cabbage and cook for 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the broth, potatoes, smashed ginger, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the pork and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until the pork is just done, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Remove the pieces of smashed ginger before serving.
- Fresh Ginger: You'll want to use really fresh ginger here; it's integral to the flavoring of the soup. Look for a piece that has taut skin and is firm to the touch. After the ginger is peeled(the easiest way is to scrape the peel off with a spoon), its color should be pale yellow. If the ginger is blueish green instead, chances are the piece is old and won't have the vibrant flavor you're looking for.
- Wine Recommendation: Tokay Pinot Gris is full and very rich, with gentle acidity and a nutty flavor. You'll be surprised how well it performs here.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This