GINGERED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Beat the winter chill with a steaming bowl of creamy butternut squash soup. The scent of ginger and nutmeg will warm your home, and the combination of fresh squash and canned carrots add color and flavor to your familys table.Beat the winter chill with a steaming bowl of creamy butternut squash soup. The scent of ginger and nutmeg will warm your home, and the combination of fresh squash and canned carrots add color and flavor to your familys table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (8 1/4 ounces) diced carrots, drained
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped chives or green onions, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until the onions are softened and translucent. Add the chicken broth, squash, ginger and bay leaf. Cover. Simmer until the squash is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and heat through. Puree the soup in batches in the blender or food processor. Return to the saucepan. Stir in the evaporated milk and nutmeg. Season to taste with the pepper. Heat through. Garnish with chopped chives or scallions.
- Adapted from Get with the Program! Guide to Good Eating! by Bob Greene. Copyright 2003 by Bob Greene. Published by Simon & Schuster, Inc., N.Y. Reprinted by permission.
- Servings: 6
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 140; Total fat 4g; Saturated fat 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 190mg; Carbohydrate 22g; Fiber 3g; Protein 8g
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CannedFoodFan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
GINGERED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews