Gingered Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Bring the flavors of fall to your table by combining apples and winter squash. A dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream is a great finish for this creamy soup.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 83
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 457mg
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 (2-pound) butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 pound)
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pierce squash several times with the tip of a sharp knife. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane with a spoon. Peel squash, and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- . Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes. Add ginger, squash, and apple to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick.
- . Place half of soup in a blender, and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining soup. Return soup to pan. Stir in lemon juice, and cook over low heat 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note