Notes: You can make the gingerbread up to 1 day ahead; store rounds airtight at room temperature. Freeze if storing longer. Prep and Cook Time: about 40 minutes.
This recipe goes with Roast Pork with Gingerbread Sauce and Celery Root with Bacon, Gingerbread Sauce
Sunset DECEMBER 2005
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and butter until well blended and creamy. Add molasses; beat until blended.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
3. Add about a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture; beat on low speed until blended. Add about a third of the water; beat until incorporated. Repeat to add all of the flour mixture and water, beating just until incorporated. Gather mixture with floured hands and form into a soft ball.
4. Spray bottoms of two 8- or 9-inch pie pans with cooking oil spray. Divide dough in half and press a portion level in each pan. With a floured knife, cut each round into eight wedges.
5. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per piece.
Go to full version of