Gingerbread Waffles with Apples and Caramel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 (28-ounce) jar fried apples
- 1 (12-ounce) jar caramel sauce
- Garnishes: whipped cream, toasted chopped pecans, ground cinnamon
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking soda, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir together egg yolks, buttermilk, and 1/4 cup butter; stir into flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated, oiled waffle iron until golden.
- Cook apples, remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
- Microwave caramel sauce in a 2-cup bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes, stirring once. Serve waffles with apple mixture and caramel sauce; garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch