- 1 sheet poster board or cardboard
- 1 recipe Gingerbread Snowflake Cookie dough
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 recipe Royal Icing
- 3 candles, assorted heights
- Cut 1 (9- x 5-inch) pattern, 1 (6- x 3 1/2-inch) pattern, and 1 (3- x 3 1/2-inch) pattern from poster board or cardboard.
- Roll gingerbread dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut 4 (9- x 5-inch) rectangles using pattern. Transfer rectangles to parchment paper- or lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheets.
- Cut designs from rectangles with desired shapes of small cutters and remove, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Reserve dough scraps.
- Reroll dough scraps to 1/4-inch thickness, and cut 4 (6-x 3 1/2-inch) rectangles using pattern. Repeat transferring and cutting procedure as directed. Reserve scraps.
- Reroll dough scraps to 1/4-inch thickness, and cut 4 (3-x 3 1/2-inch) rectangles using pattern. Repeat transferring and cutting procedure as directed.
- Cook sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook, without stirring, 10 to 12 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches hard crack stage (300°) and mixture is light golden brown.
- Pour into a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan; cool. Coarsely crush candy.
- Fill cutouts in gingerbread rectangles with candy, making sure candy touches cookie around edges.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until sugar melts and cookies are golden. Cool in pans on wire racks.
- Glue together long edges of large rectangles with a hot-glue gun to form large votive. Repeat procedure with remaining rectangles, making medium and small votives.
- Spoon Royal Icing into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip; pipe onto edges of votives. Let stand 8 hours. Place votives over candles.
- NOTE: Coarsely crushed Butter Rum Life Savers may be substituted for crushed sugar syrup candy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This