- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 4 (1.4-ounce) English toffee-flavored candy bars, coarsely chopped
How to Make It
Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses, mixing well.
Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition until blended. Pour batter into a greased 13" x 9" pan.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Cut gingerbread into cubes. Arrange one-third of gingerbread cubes in a 3-quart trifle bowl; top with one-third of Custard. Repeat layers twice, ending with Custard. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Before serving, spread whipped topping over trifle. Sprinkle with chopped candy bars.