The gingerbread is excellent, but the frosting was not firm enough. Too gooey to put on a Christmas cookie tray or any other tray with other cookies. It's more like a gingerbread dessert. The frosting is fast, but too much, which makes it a bit too sweet for my taste.
Gingerbread Squares with Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting
- Garnish: grated lemon rind
- 1. Combine first 5 ingredients. Set aside.
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until well blended. Add egg, beating until blended. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture, beating just until blended. Add molasses and milk, beating just until blended. Spread batter in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Spread with Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into squares. Garnish with grated lemon rind, if desired. Cut each bar in half, forming 2 triangles if desired.
- Note: Frosted bars may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator 5 to 7 days. If you decide to freeze these bars, do not frost them before freezing. Add the frosting to partially thawed bars, and then cut into shapes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This