Gingerbread Snowflake Cookies
Gingerbread Snowflake Cookies are used here as a garnish atop Chocolate-Gingerbread-Toffee Cake. But these tasty spiced gingerbread cookies can definitely stand on their own. Be sure to add them to your cookie repertoire.
This recipe goes with Chocolate-Gingerbread-Toffee Cake
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup molasses
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Parchment paper
- Royal Icing
- Buttermilk Frosting
- Assorted candies
- Assorted decorator sugar crystals
- 1. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until fluffy.
- 2. Stir together baking soda and 1/4 cup hot water until dissolved; stir in molasses.
- 3. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Shape mixture into a ball; cover and chill 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough with a 1- to 2 1/2-inch snowflake-shaped cutter. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 13 to 17 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 6. Spoon Royal Icing into a small zip-top plastic freezer bag. Snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole; pipe decorations on cookies, or spread cookies with Buttermilk Frosting. Decorate cookies as desired with candies and sugar crystals.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note