Gingerbread Pancakes with Carmelized Pecans
This recipe is from Patricia Cole Smith at the Omelettry West [now the Magnolia Cafe], which is separate from the Omelettry on Burnet Road (both in Austin, TX) and serves a different version. This must be good, the recipe was requested by Gourmet Magazine, and Texas Monthly calls them the best pancakes in Texas.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup(s) water or milk
- 1/4 cup(s) coffee brewed
- 2 1/2 cup(s) flour, unbleached
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger
- 1 tablespoon(s) nutmeg
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter melted
- 1 cup(s) pecan pieces
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- Cream eggs and brown sugar together
- Add buttermilk, water, and coffee and mix well.
- In separate container, sift together dry ingredients.
- Combine first and second mixture and add melted butter.
- This makes about 3 1/2 cups batter or 8-10 pancakes. Cook on griddle as you would any other pancake, serve with maple syrup, and caramelized pecans (recipe follows).
- Caramelized Pecans
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix 1 cup pecan pieces with 1 cup granulated suger. Stir together until the sugar had completely melted.
- *Star of Texas note: This is by far the thickest pancake batter I have ever worked with. I found that after cooking for about 30-45 seconds on the first side, it is best to flip the pancake, and use the spatula to press down and flatten. After cooking the second side, you may then need to re-flip and cook a bit longer on the first side.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Sher777 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Gingerbread Pancakes with Carmelized Pecans Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch