Bake these easy, melt-in-your-mouth muffins ahead of time, let them cool, and freeze up to 1 month. Reheat muffins in the oven or microwave for a fast breakfast snack to go.
Southern Living JANUARY 2013
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare Spiced Nut Streusel. Process flour and next 5 ingredients in a food processor until ginger is finely ground (about 1 minute).
2. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in applesauce until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
3. Combine hot brewed coffee and molasses in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
4. Place 12 paper baking cups in a 12-cup muffin pan, and coat cups with cooking spray. Spoon batter into cups, filling almost full. Sprinkle with Spiced Nut Streusel.
5. Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack, and cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Go to full version of