We found these muffins to be outstanding. It's hard to believe that they can be so flavorful, moist and delicious with just 5 tablespoons of butter, but Southern Living pulled it off perfectly. You can read my full review at Taking On Magazines: http://bit.ly/19xidpF
Gingerbread Muffins with Spiced Nut Streusel
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- Spiced Nut Streusel
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 12 paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare Spiced Nut Streusel. Process flour and next 5 ingredients in a food processor until ginger is finely ground (about 1 minute).
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in applesauce until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- 3. Combine hot brewed coffee and molasses in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- 4. Place 12 paper baking cups in a 12-cup muffin pan, and coat cups with cooking spray. Spoon batter into cups, filling almost full. Sprinkle with Spiced Nut Streusel.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack, and cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads