Photo: Oxmoor House
These fun fellows are always invited to cookie parties. Let the kids help dress them!
Yield: Makes 2 dozen small and 2 dozen large.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, moistened with tap water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Raisins, chocolate chips, sprinkles, colored sugar and candies
- Cream together first 6 ingredients. Add sugar and molasses and continue to beat. Add beaten eggs, coffee and 3 or 4 cups of flour and continue to beat. Add remaining flour and mix by hand. (Dough will be very stiff.) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Flatten the dough on a floured board and cut out large and small gingerbread men with cookie cutters. Transfer to a baking sheet and use diced raisins, chocolate chips, sprinkles, sugar and candies to dress your gingerbread men. Bake at 325° 10 to 13 minutes for small cookies and 15 to 20 minutes for large cookies.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cookies