Gingerbread Ice-Cream Sandwiches
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
A stand mixer works best for the thick, sticky cookie dough. Save the recipe for these cookies, and make them again for the holidays.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 272
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 50.5g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 quart vanilla low-fat ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- To prepare cookies, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, ground ginger, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Divide dough in half; gently press each portion into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap. Cover and chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Unwrap each dough portion and place on 2 sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Cover each portion with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll, still covered, to a 1/4-inch thickness. Place dough in freezer 30 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove plastic wrap; cut dough with a 3-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter to form 12 cookies. Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cookies evenly with 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until set. Remove cookies from baking sheets; cool completely on wire racks. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- To prepare filling, combine ice cream and crystallized ginger, stirring well. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons ice cream on the flat side of each of 12 cookies; top with remaining cookies, flat sides down, pressing gently. Wrap each sandwich tightly in plastic wrap; freeze 4 hours or until firm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This