Gingerbread Crackle Cookies/Holiday Buzz by Cleo Coyle
Community Recipe from
- 3/4 cup(s) unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup(s) dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 3/4 cup(s) white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon(s) molasses, unsulfured
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 pinch(s) ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) turbinado (raw) sugar for rolling do not substitute
- Make the dough:Using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter and two sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg, molasses,vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, salt and pepper and beat until blended. Stop the mixer, add the flour, and mix only until smooth dough forms and all flour is incorporated. (Do not overmix at this point or you'll develop the gluten in the flour and the cookies will be tough instead of tender.)
- Chill it: The dough will be soft and sticky. To firm it up, you must cover it in plastic and chill it for at least 3 hours (or ovenight). This rest period also allows the spices to permeate the dough and the wonderful flavors to develop.
- Roll in sugar: When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone sheets. Butter your hands and roll the sticky dough into balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Gently roll each ball in the turbinado sugar, making sure to completely coat. Arrange balls on baking sheet, allowing room to spread.
- Bake: 12 to 15 minutes. Balls will flatten out and crack on the top. Remove cookies from oven while still soft. Allow to sit for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Susilou46 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Gingerbread Crackle Cookies/Holiday Buzz by Cleo Coyle Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cookies
More Recipes for Main Dishes