Gingerbread Cake With Stout Buttercream
More From Southern Living
Bake: 35 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 2 (14.5-oz.) packages gingerbread cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups stout beer, at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- Garnishes: toasted pecans, rosemary sprigs
- 1. Stir together gingerbread cake mix, eggs, and 2 1/2 cups stout beer in a large bowl until combined. Pour batter evenly into 2 lightly greased 8-inch square pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool on wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool.
- 3. Beat softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup stout beer, beating until blended after each addition. Beat 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
- 4. Spread stout buttercream between layers and on top of cake. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake & Cookie Mix. We used Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout at one testing and Guinness Extra Stout beer at another.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts