The irresistible idea of adding blueberries to gingerbread proved excellent in this cake! Of course, how could it not, with the super yummy sauce, containing bits of ginger, then topped with homemade whipped cream?! Still, I must confirm that this cake, also, stands alone very well. It's tasty and not difficult to make, at all.
Gingerbread Cake with Blueberry Sauce
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
The new light shines on flavor, so no need to worry about compromising on desserts. Crystallized ginger deepens the flavor in this moist cake (although it's fine without it).
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cake piece, about 2 tablespoons sauce, and 1 tablespoon whipped topping)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 284
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 52.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 277mg
- Calcium: 105mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Blueberry Sauce
- 3/4 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 7 ingredients (flour through cloves) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (buttermilk through eggs); stir well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in dish for 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Spoon Blueberry Sauce over top of individual pieces; dollop with whipped topping.
- (Totals include Blueberry Sauce.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note