Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: Flavored with almonds and fresh ginger, these biscotti are perfect with a cup of warm spiced cider or hot chocolate. To toast the almonds, place in a baking pan and bake in a 350° oven, shaking pan often, until golden, about 15 minutes. You can store the cookies airtight for up to 3 days.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 46
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 0.9g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 6.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 21mg
- Cholesterol: 9.4mg
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted blanched almonds (see notes)
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses, ginger, and eggs until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended. Stir in almonds.
- 3. Spoon 1 cup dough in dollops down the length of a buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, 1 inch from edge. Spoon another 1 cup dough down the length of the other side of the sheet. With floured fingers, pat each strip of dough into a flat 13-inch loaf, about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inches wide. Repeat with remaining dough (dough can stand while first loaves bake).
- 4. Bake loaves in a 350° oven until golden, 15 to 20 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- 5. With a sharp knife, cut loaves crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Separate slices slightly and tip each onto a cut side.
- 6. Return to oven and bake until cookies are slightly darker and firm and dry to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Gently slide biscotti onto racks to cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note