Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: This shortbread has a double hit of ginger. Store the cookies airtight for up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes 24 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 140
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 79mg
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1. In a food processor, whirl butter, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and crystallized and ground ginger together until smooth. Or, in a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth; stir in flour and crystallized and ground ginger until mixture is no longer crumbly and starts to come together in a ball.
- 2. Press dough evenly into two 9-inch round pans with removable rims. Press edges of dough with fork tines to make a ridge pattern. Then, with fork tines, pierce dough all over in parallel lines 1 inch apart.
- 3. Bake shortbread in a 300° oven until firm to touch and golden at edges, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle while hot with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, then let cool 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove pan rims from warm shortbread. Cut each round into 12 wedges. Cool completely on pan bottoms on racks.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note