I made these for Thanksgiving this year. I thought they were good and pretty simple to make and something I'd make again, but I didn't think they were knock your socks off good. I mean, they're carrots. BUT, I had three people tell me how good they were and one asked for the recipe. So, I guess as far as carrots go, they're pretty darn good LOL! I used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make them vegetarian friendly.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into 6 pieces
- 4 pounds carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup spiced rum or dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add carrots; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 12 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; discard ginger slices. Set carrots aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, minced ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add reserved carrot, salt, and pepper; sauté 3 more minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and vanilla; cook 1 minute.
- Make Ahead: Place sliced carrots in a zip-top plastic bag, and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. Or for extra convenience, use packaged baby carrots.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables