- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into 6 pieces
- 4 pounds carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup spiced rum or dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Make It
Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add carrots; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 12 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; discard ginger slices. Set carrots aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, minced ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add reserved carrot, salt, and pepper; sauté 3 more minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and vanilla; cook 1 minute.
Make Ahead: Place sliced carrots in a zip-top plastic bag, and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. Or for extra convenience, use packaged baby carrots.