- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Baking soda
- 1 cup(s) Butter cut in pieces
- 4 cup(s) Flour
- 1 cup(s) Granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) Ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon(s) Ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon(s) Ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup(s) molasses (orig recipe calls for dark corn syrup)
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- Put butter in large bowl. Mix sugar, water, molasses and spices in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Pour over butter;stir until butter melts. let stand 10-15 min untill cooled to room temperature. Mix flour and baking soda; stir into butter mixture untill well blended. (Dough will be soft). Divice in fourths;wrap each portion in plastic. Chill at least 6 hours or overnight until form enough to roll. Heat oven to 375. Place parchment on sheet. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch using floured roll. Cut out shapes leaving 1/2 inch between shapes. Remove scraps, chill and reroll. Bake 8 - 10 minutes until lightly browned around edges. remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Can decorate with icing (1 cup conf. sugar and 4 tsps water), sprinkling colored sugar and sprinkles before icing hardens.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by AnnieG and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note