We love this recipe...its a great twist on your traditional chicken noodle soup. We mix up the vegetables sometimes adding edamame instead of peas. We add more ginger than the recipe calls for and a little extra salt. Yum!
Ginger Chicken Soup with Vegetables
Avocado, lime and cilantro give this chicken and rice soup its Mexican flair. It makes about 8 servings and is great for when you're having a crowd.
More From Real Simple
Other: 30 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 5-inch piece fresh ginger, minced (3 tablespoons)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 32-ounce boxes low-sodium chicken broth (8 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Maple-Glazed Walnut Biscuits
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the parsnips, turnip, carrots, celery, broth, and salt and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the chicken, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the peas and scallions, and let sit, covered, for 1 minute. Serve with Maple-Glazed Walnut Biscuits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This