Ginger-Caramel Macadamia Tart
Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, wrap cool tart airtight and chill. Cover chocolate sauce and chill; reheat to serve.
Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 618
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 7.4g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 61g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 262mg
- Cholesterol: 97mg
- Butter pastry (recipe below)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups salted, roasted macadamia nuts
- Warm chocolate sauce (recipe below)
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1. Press butter pastry evenly over bottom of an 11-inch plain or fluted tart pan with removable rim; then press pastry up pan sides.
- 2. Bake in a 300° oven until pale gold, 12 to 15 minutes. Use hot or cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat to blend eggs, sugar, crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, and vanilla.
- 4. Rub macadamia nuts in a towel to remove excess salt. Lift nuts from towel and put in bowl. Mix and pour into pastry.
- 5. Bake on lowest rack in a 350° oven until top is golden and filling is set (test by gently shaking), 35 to 40 minutes. Cool tart on a rack. Remove pan rim and cut tart into wedges. Spoon warm chocolate sauce onto portions and accompany with ice cream.
- Butter pastry: In a food processor or a bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Add 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, in chunks, and whirl or rub with your fingers until fine crumbs form. Add 1 large egg yolk; whirl or mix with a fork until dough holds together.
- Warm chocolate sauce: In a microwave-safe bowl or a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan, melt 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips with 3/4 cup half-and-half (light cream) or milk in a microwave oven or over low heat, stirring often until sauce is smooth. Serve warm. Makes about 2 cups.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Ginger-Caramel Macadamia Tart Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts