Photo: Marcus Nilsson
Dave Kwiatkowski of The Sugar House creates this variation on an old-fashioned by swapping gin for the whiskey. A splash of Campari adds bitterness and a rosy color.
Yield: 1 drink
More From Food & Wine
- 1 (2-inch-long strip) lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Demerara simple syrup, see Note
- 1 teaspoon Campari
- 3 dashes of grapefruit bitters
- 1 pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Knickerbocker or Beefeater 24
- In a rocks glass, muddle the lemon zest with the simple syrup, Campari, grapefruit bitters and sea salt. Add the gin and a few ice cubes and stir until well chilled. Top with more ice and serve right away.
Note: To make Demerara simple syrup, in a small saucepan, dissolve 1/4 cup Demerara sugar (a coarse, raw cane sugar) in 1/4 cup water over moderate heat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note