We used egg yolks and flour as thickeners in this luscious recipe.
Yield: Makes 4 cups
- Giblets and neck from 1 turkey
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprig
- Bring giblets, neck, and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving broth. Chop giblets and neck meat, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add chopped vegetables, and sauté 5 minutes. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add reserved broth; cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Remove vegetables using a hand-held, wire-mesh strainer, and discard, leaving gravy in skillet.
- Whisk together egg yolks and half-and-half. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot gravy into yolk mixture; add to remaining hot gravy. Add giblets and neck meat; cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Stir in salt, pepper, and seasoning. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note