Giant Ham-and-Pepper Salad Sandwich
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 (16-ounce) round Italian bread loaf
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled sliced banana peppers, drained
- 1 (6-ounce) package Swiss cheese slices
- 4 (1-ounce) American cheese slices
- Tomato slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Cut off top one-third of bread loaf, and spread cut side of top with honey mustard; set aside.
- Scoop out soft center of remaining bread, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. (Reserve soft center of loaf for other uses, if desired.)
- Stir together onions, cream cheese, and mayonnaise; spread in bottom of bread shell. Layer with ham, peppers, and cheeses; cover with bread top, honey mustard side down. Wrap in aluminum foil or a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Place tomato and lettuce in zip-top plastic bags. Surround with ice packs for transport to picnic.
- Unwrap whole sandwich, add lettuce and tomato slices, and cut into 4 wedges. Serve on heavy paper towels or parchment paper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches