Can't believe this recipe hasn't been reviewed yet! It has been my go-to German Potato Salad recipe for years, always with kudos from family and friends. Last night I served it at an outdoor patio gathering, pairing it with a selection of German-style grilled sausages and grilled fresh peaches, and as usual the potato salad was a solid hit with multiple requests for the recipe. I follow the recipe exactly as printed and have never found the need to modify it. Don't worry that the dressing quantity seems small. The ingredients just seem to meld into perfect balance during the 1-hour rest period before serving. I slice the potatoes using my food processor and a 4 mm slicing blade and add the potatoes to the dressing while still warm from steaming.
German-Style Potato Salad
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
This classic German potato salad features a mixture of sliced potato, onion and bell pepper that is topped with a warm bacon-apple cider dressing and served a room temperature.
Yield: 11 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 108
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 15.9g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 253mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 5 cups)
- 8 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Steam potatoes, covered, 10 minutes or until tender.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings.
- Combine drippings, vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add the potatoes, onion, and bell pepper; toss gently to coat. Cover and let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add the bacon and parsley; toss gently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note