- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (32-ounce) jar sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small baking potato, peeled and grated
- Sauté onion and apple in hot bacon drippings in a Dutch oven until tender. Add sauerkraut, caraway seeds, salt, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in potato; simmer 30 minutes. Cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serving Suggestions: German Sauerkraut may be served cold or hot with corned beef or frankfurters.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This