Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (32-ounce) jar sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 small baking potato, peeled and grated
- Sauté onion and apple in hot bacon drippings in a Dutch oven until tender. Add sauerkraut, caraway seeds, salt, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in potato; simmer 30 minutes. Cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serving Suggestions: German Sauerkraut may be served cold or hot with corned beef or frankfurters.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables