- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) boneless rump roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 6 medium carrots, scraped and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
How to Make It
Melt shortening in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add roast, and brown roast on all sides; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top meat with onion, green pepper, carrots, and potatoes. Cover and bake at 300° for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; reserve pan drippings in Dutch oven. Combine flour and water; stir until smooth. Pour flour mixture into pan drippings. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.