Delicious - however, a 10" decorative tube pan is way too small. Don't fill your pan any more than 1/2 as the cake rises a lot. I just made a few extra smaller cakes with the leftover batter.
German Poppy Seed Cake
Poppy seeds are the key ingredient to this German cake recipe. "When Mom pulled out the German poppy seed cake recipe, we knew it was a special occasion," says recipe developer Joni Schaper.
Yield: Makes 16 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 327
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 328mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- About 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- About 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (about 2 1/2 oz.) poppy seed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Butter and flour-dust a 10-inch decorative tube pan.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix poppy seed, buttermilk, and almond extract.
- 3. In a deep bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer on high until foamy. Continue beating and gradually add 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until whites hold stiff, shiny peaks.
- 4. In another bowl, using unwashed beaters, beat 1 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat until well blended. Stir in poppy seed mixture.
- 5. Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 6. Add dry ingredients to batter; beat slowly to blend. Mix at medium speed.
- 7. Fold in beaten whites until blended.
- 8. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Pour half the batter into pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon mixture. Add remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Holding a knife vertically, draw blade through batter around tube.
- 9. Bake in 350° oven just until cake springs back when lightly pressed in center, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- 10. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a plate. Serve warm or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts