1. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over low heat, melt butter. Add sugar and cream and stir over high heat until the mixture is boiling. Remove from heat and stir in flour, cloves, ginger, salt, and oats.
2. Drop batter in 1-teaspoon portions onto cooking parchment-lined or buttered and floured 12- by 15-inch baking sheets (see notes), evenly spacing three or four portions on each sheet.
3. Bake one pan at a time in a 350° oven until the edges of cookies are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Let cookies cool on sheet until firm enough to remove, about 2 minutes; to test, lift a corner of a cookie with your fingers, or slide a spatula under a corner. If it's too soft to hold its shape, wait a few seconds longer; if it's firm, lift off with your fingers or a spatula. Set cookies on racks to cool.
5. Serve, or immediately package airtight (cookies soften quickly from moisture in the air) in rigid containers, putting waxed paper between layers.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.