- 1 (4-ounce) package sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided and softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
How to Make It
Combine chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter in top of a double boiler; place over simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until chocolate and butter melt. Cool and set aside.
Beat 2 eggs in a medium mixing bowl; gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon colored. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract, stirring well.
Combine 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl; gradually add to egg mixture, stirring well. Stir in reserved chocolate mixture and pecans.
Pour batter into a well-greased 9-inch square baking pan, reserving 1 cup batter. Set aside.
Cream remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in a small mixing bowl; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg; beat well. Add remaining flour and vanilla, stirring well; pour evenly over chocolate batter in pan.
Drop reserved 1 cup chocolate batter by tablespoonfuls onto light-colored batter; swirl to marble. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool brownies completely in pan. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares.