German Chocolate Pound Cake
Yield: 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1 (4-ounce) sweet chocolate baking bar, cut up
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Chocolate Frosting
- Microwave chocolate in a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes, stirring twice.
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in extracts. Fold in chopped pecans, if desired. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 30 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Spread top and sides of cake with Chocolate Frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
German Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Desserts