I have made this pie MANY times & it's always a hit!
German Chocolate Pie
Yield: 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 673
- Fat: 38.8g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Sodium: 409mg
- Basic Pastry for a 10-inch Pie
- 1 (4-ounce) package sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- Prepare Pastry; place in a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pieplate. Set aside.
- Combine baking chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in evaporated milk; set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Gradually stir in chocolate mixture, using a wire whisk. Pour mixture into unbaked pastry shell, and sprinkle with coconut and chopped pecans.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. (Pie may appear soft, but will become firm after cooling.) Cool at least 4 hours. Top pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts