- Basic Pastry for a 10-inch Pie
- 1 (4-ounce) package sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- calories 673
- fat 38.8 g
- cholesterol 102 mg
- sodium 409 mg
How to Make It
Prepare Pastry; place in a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pieplate. Set aside.
Combine baking chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in evaporated milk; set aside.
Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Gradually stir in chocolate mixture, using a wire whisk. Pour mixture into unbaked pastry shell, and sprinkle with coconut and chopped pecans.
Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. (Pie may appear soft, but will become firm after cooling.) Cool at least 4 hours. Top pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.