I agree with Anniegranny as mine didn't set up very well either and I baked mine the same. This recipe is decadent-absolutely rich and tasty. Didn't give it a 5 star because it did not hold together well even after being refrigerated over an hour. The chocolate never solidified after semi melting on the hot base. Not sure what happened but if any of you have an idea please tell me. As I took it out of the pan with a small spatula it would just fall apart in chunks with liquid chocolate in between. Of course with a nice big dollop of vanilla ice cream on top one would never notice the mess beneath :) !
German Chocolate-Pecan Pie Bars
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 3 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides. Lightly grease foil.
- 3. Pulse flour and next 3 ingredients in a food processor 5 to 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture on bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of prepared pan.
- 4. Bake crust at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle chocolate morsels over crust. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- 5. Whisk together brown sugar and next 3 ingredients until smooth. Stir in coconut and toasted pecans, and spoon into prepared crust.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and set. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Chill 1 hour. Lift baked bars from pan, using foil sides as handles. Transfer to a cutting board; cut into bars.
- TRY THIS TWIST
- German Chocolate-Bourbon-Pecan Pie Bars: For a spirited kick, whisk 1/4 cup of your favorite bourbon into brown sugar mixture in Step 5.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts